Ad

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Perspective

Since I have become a “grown-up”, wife & mom (now stay-at-home-job-seeking-self-employed-mom) I have gained a totally new perspective on life.

Young, youthful Andrea perspective:

  • I used to go out with my friends 4-5x a week, and we wouldn’t leave for the bar or wherever until close to 11pm. 
  • I had a few “best” friends and a lot of people I hung out with
  • I drank a lot of beer…..
  • I had way more energy, I mean I worked like a mad women, studied like an even crazier person and still had a social life.
  • My closet was always jam packed with new things because I am a shop-aholic who can’t pass up a cute pair of shoes or a good deal.
  • Sometimes I would take things too personally and get upset really easily. 
  • I made freaking stupid (usually selfish) choices a lot of the time, because, why not?!
  • I tried to do EVERYTHING that people asked me to do, to the point where I was a chicken with my head cut off and totally missing the point of helping others.

Older, wiser Andrea perspective:

  • I see my friends maybe once a month, we still go to the bar (okay, we go to a restaurant that HAS a bar), but we are gone before 10! 
  • I have fewer “best” friends, and a lot of good friends.
  • I drink a lot of wine now…..
  • I still work like a mad women, study like a crazy person but now I am TIRED! Always tired.
  • Still a shop-a-holic, just filling up someone else's closet instead of mine.  I have so much fun buying stuff for G that it is really hard to spend any $$ on myself. (but, I won’t pass up a great pair of shoes….)
  • I still take a lot of things personally when I shouldn’t, but I don’t make a big deal out of it.  I mean whatever – people suck sometimes, that’s all there is to it.
  • Probably still make stupid choices, but not as many, and not nearly as many selfish ones.  Unless you count choosing the activities I do based around how fun it will be for a toddler.
  • I try to do everything that people ask me to do, but I know my limits.  And I try to do the little things for people because I want to and enjoy it.

It’s funny to look at the way I used to live life and compare it to the way I live life now.  6447944426C98CE667104DD21FA0EDBC

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look at things lie tht too. Life has changed alot and the way I lived my life has changed alot. Getting older sucks but is complete blessing in some ways. I know I have completely screwed up somethings but I have also done some of the best things in my life. Life may never be perfect but it is my life and I will live everyday of it, the good, the bad, and the ugly!

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

We sound similar. Priorities certainly change.

Kakunaa said...

This is so very true :) Ahhh, age and wisdom (and bills).

Rebecca said...

Yes, knowing limits is one lovely thing that comes with aging.

At this point, if I lived my former life, I'd DIE!!! How did I make it through a day?

JJ said...

Being a grown up is hard work! Still has its fun and exciting moments--just not as much energy to enjoy it :)

Danifred said...

The older I get, the more I realize how much I still have to learn. It's amazing how much has changed and I can't imagine what I'll be saying in another 10 years.