Wednesday, November 4, 2015
I mentioned the other day that I have recently been trying to use more environmentally friendly products - cleaning products, baby products, etc. I've found a lot of good Seventh Generation products and recently got connected with their community, Generation Good.
I've already tried out the Free & Clear Baby Wipes and they are GREAT. I can't believe how thick they are. Aleesia and Vivian have pretty sensitive skin and we have recently noticed more redness so I wanted to try something new - I'm so glad! They don't leave any strange films or residues which I like and they clean really well. I'm officially impressed!
Through that community, I was selected to be a party host! I will have some goodies for local friends but everyone can participate via Twitter!
Healthy Baby Home Twitter Party on November 13 at 12PM EST. Follow me @andreamarie528, @seventhgen and #HealthyBabyHome. Together, we will get the word out about raising kids in a healthy environment! There will be 5 giveaways available throughout the hour, including a month’s worth of diapers or laundry detergent, along with prizes from bobble and Zarbee’s Naturals.
If you're available, check out the party! Twitter parties are the best!
*I have and will receive products for free as part of being a Generation Good member and a Healthy Baby party host.
Monday, November 2, 2015
I have so much to catch up on - so, so much!
The short version, since that is pretty much all I can manage:
- 1st grade is some SERIOUS education, you guys. I have a lot I want to say related to Gianna and school but I can sum it up to: Public school is the best place for her. We moved into such an amazing school system and we are so lucky to have the support for her.
- Aleesia has a preschool screening this week. This blows my mind for so many reason, but seriously, how is this coming up so fast??
- Work is work, no complaints at all.
- The girls love dance.
- I have a mandatory 8 hours of email training for work. This is the silliest training I have ever attended.
- Vivian is such a stinker. She has a weight check on Wednesday this week, I know she has for sure gained over the last few weeks so that helps to take any anxiousness away.
- We are in our new house. It is amazing. I still can't believe it is ours!
- Speaking of new house, I really love decorating!
- Our new neighborhood has so many kids, it is great!
- I've recently gotten really "into" all natural cleaners and using stuff around the house that is a bit more environmentally friendly. My house smells so yummy all the time!
- I'm also really into eliminating unnecessary stuff from our life - unpacking is the perfect time to purge things we haven't missed over the past few months. It's a great, cleansing, feeling if you ask me.
- It is NOVEMBER???? I purchased my first christmas gifts. I'm 85% in planning mode for Vivian's 1st birthday. Time just keeps moving on.
Friday, October 2, 2015
We’ve been doing a lot of things to see what is up with her petite-ness. I think where I left it was that we were giving her some formula but still nursing every 2 hours in hopes that that little bit of supplementing would do the trick.
Plot twist: It did not do the trick.
We gave it about 6 weeks with frequent weight checks, essentially zero weight gain. We were starting to see her length and head circumference affected by her lack of weight gain and that was no good.
We checked her labs, and thankfully, all of that came back normal.
That forced our hand to move to primarily formula, which by this point, I was totally fine with because sheesh, she needed to get bigger and it was obvious that something wasn’t working. So we had to get her up to 24 ounces of formula per day which was not the easiest of tasks.
We have her on between 22 and 26 ounces a day and she nurses primarily at night now. And finally we are seeing some actual gains, which is making everyone feel a little better.
At her nine month appointment we got the okay to start her back on foods as long as there aren’t any dramatic decreases in her volume intake. She has a fairly strong tongue thrust reflex which makes it hard for her to get pieces of food to stay in her mouth, but she does pretty well on purees. She doesn’t always tolerate all of her bottles the greatest and sometimes she wants to eat ALL THE FOOD and sometimes not, but hey, I can say the same for myself!
The goal is that she gets back on the curve by 15 months. She's a petite 12.5 pounds right now!
It makes me a little sad/frustrated/angry that for whatever reason breastfeeding was so hard for us in the weight gain department. Maybe I didn’t produce enough. Maybe she burned too many calories while nursing. Maybe a million things that don’t really matter right now.
Overall, she is finally heading in the right size direction.
Developmentally? She is a tiny rockstar – she has been crawling for months, but finally is up on all fours, puling up on everything, waving, clapping, and grinning from ear to ear whenever she isn’t crying or sleeping!
We often get a lot of strange looks when people who don’t know her see her – she surprises everyone and I usually just say something about her being sweet and portable. Not a preemie, not neglected, not anything but small and loved and perfect just the size she is.
Thursday, September 24, 2015
Since I can only seem to get my crap together roughly once a month - quick update with pictures from my phone that will definitely post out of order.
First grade is serious, you guys! But public school has proven to be a great change for G as she is getting the academic attention she needs.
We went to the fair! We love the fair!
I am lucky to have had the same beat friend for like 25 years. We are also lucky to have gotten a picture where almost all of our kids are looking!
We went to the beach! And jet-skied with dolphins. And loved on the ocean. And ate great food. and made awesome memories with our whole family. And is it time to go back now PLEASE???
Aleesia started dance and she is sure that she is a hotshot ballerina! Gianna started dance and is doing jazz and ballet - we are SO HAPPY with our new studio. They are both going to learn so much!
Our house will be ready SOON and we are so looking forward to it!
Sunday, August 23, 2015
There is so.much going on around here (always?!) and 101% of the time, I have no time to really even process all that is happening in our lives. I am going to give a quick rundown and I really, truly (honestly) hope to expand on most, if not all, of these things going forward.
* Gianna started FIRST GRADE last week. We ended up moving her from Catholic to public school after a really long debate. I think we made the choice that made the most sense. The first week went well for her, so that’s exciting for all of us!
* Aleesia is officially 2.5 and she is THE SPUNKIEST ball of energy I have ever met. I’m lucky she is mine, but also, wow – she makes me tired!
* Being a full-time work at home mom for the past 6 months has been so great. And so hard. And so many things. There are a few things I can say for certain though. This wouldn’t be possible without my village – our nanny, my sisters, my parents, cousins, so many people who help out when needed. Being at home has been so fun and the flexibility I have is wonderful. But it is HARD to be “on” all of the time.
* We are going to the beach in a few weeks! We are going to Hilton Head for the first time and really looking forward to it. If you’ve been there – tips, tricks, places not to miss are all greatly appreciated! We are planning on vising Savannah as well while we are there.
* Our new house! Oh my gosh, so much I can say about our new house. We have a pre-drywall meeting this week and we are looking forward to that. I have pictures of the whole process and will hopefully do a few posts related to our building process (which has been really great). Things are moving along and I am ALL OVER the Pinterest boards with updates and ideas for decorating a house that is significantly bigger than our previous home.
* Vivian is such a sweet baby! She finally started to sit up on her own and can go from laying/crawling to sitting. She’s been crawling for at least 2 months so she gets all over the place and flashes her amazing smile at us! She is a bit of a mommy’s girl and she doesn’t love to sleep without touching me. It has been hard to get her in a sleep routine, but we’ll get there. We started to give her some baby food a few weeks ago and she is just now really getting the hang of eating from a spoon.
* I ran a half marathon last weekend, it was a great race and I had a pretty huge PR. I’m looking forward to my next one in September. I also finished my 4th (or 5th?!?) MBA class last week. I’m looking forward to finding some good books to read on vacation – any ideas for me?
Overall, I’m not ready to give up summer yet but also ready for the routine the school year brings. We have fun plans that will get us through the end of September and then our fall plans (and moving!!) start up in October! I don’t feel like I am as organized and on top of life as usual right now which is frustrating but somehow we are all getting through our days!