Ad

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Pregnancy Amnesia, or something like that

I know that for some reason little humans have a way of sucking away brain cells and deleting memory banks, and, guilty as charged here.

I am typically forgetful (or, as I prefer, I just have a lot to remember) – but right now, I literally forget EVERY.THING.

Also, I have apparently forgotten all things related to pregnancy and what happens to a woman’s body when she is growing a human.  In my defense, it has been 4 years since I have been more than 15 minutes pregnant, and I can’t even remember what I did 4 minutes ago most of the time.

But the random boob pain? Ya, I totally forgot about that and get caught off guard every time it happens.

Also, the way everything just kind of shifts around making it hard to breathe sometimes, hard to eat sometimes, hard to bend over, etc. Forgot about that.

The random bodily fluid leakage – from down below, drooling, stuffy nose, from the boobs – it seems like every area that could leak, does. it’s awesome. except that it’s not.

Not being able to sleep and not being able to get comfortable enough to sleep? That is kind of annoying. I really want a Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow , but alas, I am cheap.

I also swear I am more tired this time.  could be all that is going on right now, and you know, the other little human we are taking care of, but still. exhausted. always.

Heartburn still sucks. so do these ridiculous headaches (although, I am trying new meds that are working pretty well).

I also forgot what it feels like to hear a baby’s heartbeat. to mistake flutters for gas, and now, full on kicks. and how much I enjoy these things.

It’s almost like I have total amnesia over most of my pregnancy with G – except the part that involved being so swollen I swear you could have popped me like a water balloon – so this is all new again.  I don’t know how to explain it – maybe I just put it all out of my head when I thought we might not be able to get pregnant again.  I am trying to remember the little things this time – and enjoy every feeling (even the uncomfortable ones). 

Overall though, I feel really great most of the time. The belly is large and in charge and I am totally in love with the feeling of a little person flipping around in there.

I think I’ll just keep myself in my naïve little bubble about whatever else I am forgetting about last time because this is THIS time – and it’s different and unique.

3 comments:

Deborah said...

This totally sounds like I just wrote it! Except I think some things actually are different this time around. For me, less boob pain (and no boob growth), more discharge, much more nausea. And the fatigue! There is no comparing fatigue when you're free to nap all the time with fatigue when you have a preschooler to watch!

Photogrl said...

Oh, yes...pregnancy brain!

I felt the same way when I was pregnant with the twins. Couldn't remember much from Miss O.'s pregnancy and wanted to sear every feeling from the twins into my brain, so that I wouldn't forget.

I'm cheap, too ;) For me the best way to get comfy was buying one of those long body pillows for, like, $12, at Tar.get or Wally World. I would use that to lay on my left side, and often had M. add an extra regular pillow between my knees. That seemed to help especially with the hip pain!

Anonymous said...

I know it goes without saying but this too shall pass. :) I don't remember anything but snippets from both pregnancies. And Jude's entire first year is nothing but a blur.

Oh, except for the memory loss, that persists. :) For.ev.er.
xo