Ad

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Miles 4 and 5

Mike is an awesomely supportive husband - he is (eventually) encouraging of my crazy goals and dreams.

As one of my Christmas gifts, he registered me for a 4 mile prediction run. Seems like kind of a strange gift, but I was really excited about it - it would be a great challenge and perfectly timed with the distance I was planning for that weekend.

On January 11th, it was 40 degrees and windy. Just days after a really big snow/ice storm and a little spell of cold weather known as the Polar Vortex.  The prediction race was 4 miles, I predicted that I could finish the race in 48 minutes.  The course was a muddy and wet loop (modified from the original course due to the ice issue), but it was also still decently flat and fast.  5 loops = 4ish miles.

I don't particularly enjoy being muddy.  But it was fine. My feet were cold and I bargained with myself every time I stepped into an ice cold puddle of mud or ran up a very muddy hill.  It was all fine, it felt good and I was surprised at the results.

before

after
And I ended up running in the course in 47 minutes, better than I planned for.  I was a lot muddier than I had planned for, but that was fine too.

I have to do my longer runs on the weekends, and I aim for the morning before the day gets crazy. This past weekend, 5 miles was on my schedule.  It was 10 degrees on Saturday morning and Gianna just wanted to snuggle up on the couch together. So we did for a little bit but I knew I had to get the distance in or else it would just haunt me the rest of the weekend.  I promised her more snuggles when I got back, which she was okay with!

It was colder than I planned for and it was a little more icy than I thought it was going to be, but I ran anyway.  I wasn't cold until about mile 2.5, when the wind kicked up (and apparently the "real feel" was something like -7 degrees at one point) but at that point I was half way done and I had to run back home! I bargained with myself every 1/2 mile - okay, only "x" more to go until you can take a hot shower! 
My biggest lesson learned was to for sure wear another layer when it's below 15 degrees.

I ran a little slower than I know I can to account for the ice (I am super clumsy, I still can't believe I didn't fall!) and still completed 5 miles more than 5 minutes faster than the last time I ran that same path in October - I was pretty happy with that outcome!  It's nice to see the difference and the improvement as well, I don't usually feel like I am doing a whole lot but the numbers don't lie, right?

Another way that Mike is super supportive - he always has a good breakfast waiting for me when I get back from a run, no matter how long or short it was.  Gianna is pretty sweet as well - she always wants to know how my running was - she sat across from me and ate her breakfast (of grilled cheese...) and then chatted with me the whole time I was in the shower.  She cracks me up and motivates me all at the same time!

No comments: