Ad

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Just the beginning

I have always enjoyed running.   I always had a goal of completing a half marathon some time in the future. We have a really great race locally in September each year and I just never seemed to be able to get myself together in time to prepare for it, ever.  Busy life, blah blah blah.

I had a goal to run a 5k after I had Gianna, and I did that. It wasn't pretty, but who cares.  And then, graduate school/work/life got in the way (and winter came) and I stopped.  Graduate school/work/life continued and I just never picked it back up until this past summer. 

I was still feeling frumpy after having Aleesia and I had a beach vacation on the horizon - I didn't want to feel horrible about how I looked.  I decided to do the couch to 5k program again and literally would do loops around our very very small "neighborhood" to complete each workout.  Sometimes I had to repeat a work out (or a week of workouts) but I finished the whole program. It wasn't always easy, but it was enjoyable for me. I wasn't fast AT ALL and that was fine with me (even if it's hard to not be intimidated by people who run much faster than I do!)- my goal was to simply finish each workout without walking when I was supposed to be running.  I ran the 5k distance on my own and was really proud of myself when I did that.

A good friend challenged me to run a 10k in October - so I signed up and worked hard to accomplish that goal.  The actual 10k was postponed due to the government shutdown but we ran 6.2 miles anyway and it felt good to accomplish that goal.  Again, not fast but I finished it without walking which is all I care about.

I continued to run anywhere from 2-4 miles regularly and felt pretty good.  But not challenged.  I decided to add in some cross training and work a little on speed as well for an additional challenge. I did run a turkey trot in 16 degree weather, and did not in fact freeze to death, thanks to some encouragement and guidance from a good friend.  That was a challenge of a different kind!

Then a twitter friend mentioned entering the random draw for the Nike Run Women 1/2 Marathon in DC.  So I entered.  I never thought I would be chosen, but knew if I was there was no turning back on that goal.

I was selected.  And I promptly freaked out because it is winter. And I don't like the cold. And I have to run outside.  And And And THIRTEEN MILES IS A LONG WAY!

Then I got excited, or just determined, maybe.  I AM going to run 13.1 miles. At one time. With 15,000 people.  And it's going to be just fine. 

This isn't going to be easy for a lot of reasons (life is nuts, as usual!) but I know it's going to be worth it.

No comments: