Ad

Monday, April 21, 2014

Gearing up

Less than one week until I run 13.1 miles for the first time ever. With 15,000 other people.

I am trying REALLY hard not to be nervous about this.

I’ve been officially preparing for this for 3 months. I’m as prepared as I am going to get. I know I can do it. I know it will be fun. I know I will do my best.

I had a horrible long run a few weeks ago, my legs didn’t want to cooperate,I couldn’t get my timing down and I had to cut it short which left me disappointed and a little discouraged. But thankfully, I had a pretty good long run this weekend, which I know was somewhere between 6.5 and 8 miles - my dang Nike+ app was acting ridiculous and didn’t track a good portion of my run. It doesn’t really matter though, because I felt good and my legs felt strong. It helps that it was a beautiful morning, the sun was shining and it was just a peaceful, no pressure kind of run.

Now, because I tend to concern myself with random things here is what I need some running-pros to help me with so I can get through the week with my nerves intact:

  • I am planning on a run Monday and Thursday night (3-5 miles each, really just depends on what time I get them in), do I need to fit another cross training day or a run in? I’m leaving Friday morning for DC and the race is Sunday.
  • What is the best way to prepare my body for the race? I plan on drinking lots of water this week to stay hydrated, is there something I should eat (or not) or drink (or not)? (I realize this is probably considered WAY over-planning)
  • Any great, unique ideas on things to wear during the race so that Mike and the girls can (hopefully) identify me as I’m running?
  • Should I figure out a way to post my run on facebook or twitter or something?  Or is this obnoxious?I really have no idea how to do this at the moment, but I’m sure I could figure it out!
  • Hit me with any other tips you might have!

But really, it’ll be great to spend the weekend with Mike and the girls and I’m excited to show them that I can do this!

No comments: