Ad

Monday, January 12, 2015

Here she comes.

{{Go here for the beginning. As a reminder, Christine from Bella Rose Photography took these fantastic pictures for us, some of them are a bit dynamic.}}

I don’t remember my contractions being as frequent or as intense with Aleesia, but they were no joke at this point. I was managing them ok, but my focus started to waiver some. I had a few back to back with no break and I actually cried a little during them – not something I remember doing last time.
DIxonBirth2 277DIxonBirth2 285DIxonBirth2 287
There was a lot going on in my room, too (you can probably tell in some of the pictures) – for some reason some of the nurses decided that would be a perfect time to restock supplies. I was too busy to say anything then, but they were super distracting. Theresa had to go deliver another baby and I was feeling like transition was approaching. I couldn’t explain it to anyone at the time but I felt pukey, shakey, and I needed to sit down right now!
DIxonBirth2 296(2)DIxonBirth2 300(2)DIxonBirth2 302(2)
I had Theresa check me again when she got back (thankfully she wasn’t gone long!) and could have died when she said not much change. I remember thinking “no fucking way” and just UGHHH.
DIxonBirth2 308(2)
She told me it was time to change positions because however she was laying in there (mostly to the left) wasn’t working and she warned me that it was not going to feel good at all. DIxonBirth2 311(2)
At least the restocking frenzy was over though so I could concentrate better. Although, my brain was super foggy for some reason and totally in labor land. I probably would have done anything she told me to at this point because things were intense. Painful in a different kind of way.

She wasn't kidding when she said it was not going to feel good at all. I laid on my right side and went through 2 contractions thinking I was going to squeeze the arm rest off of the bed off. DIxonBirth2 313(2)
There was a lot of pressure – almost pushy pressure – I couldn’t explain what I was feeling, but I knew things were happening now. But to my major disappointment, there was still cervix there. Theresa told me that we were getting this baby out now as she had me put my left leg up on this stirrup thing while I was still laying on my right side.
DIxonBirth2 316
It was the most uncomfortable, yet helpful, position you can imagine but I busted through transition in the next contraction. (I don’t even remember Mike standing behind me, to be honest. I was concentrating THAT hard). And the contraction after that, I felt her flip over, slide down and crown. There was no question about it – that baby was coming out!

This is when things got a little blurry – I had to wait for everyone to be ready and NOT push (you know, the one thing I had been waiting to do all day!).
DIxonBirth2 319
I know I said “I can’t wait” as I was breathing through the pushing contractions. It felt like an eternity for them to get things ready. My mom and Mike, taking their respective sides of the bed, kept telling me that I could, in fact, wait a few seconds longer!
DIxonBirth2 323(2)
DIxonBirth2 337DIxonBirth2 343DIxonBirth2 344
The upside? She was already crowned at that point so no ring of fire – I totally skipped that part. Getting her head out was a piece of cake.The downside? I lost my focus for a minute and had way too many people talking to me at once telling me to spread my legs so my pelvis would open up to deliver her shoulders.
DIxonBirth2 350There was one particular nurse who was very NOT helpful and I remember being annoyed at her (I remember thinking, shut up lady!), again, not helping the focus issue. I had my eyes closed and tried to focus on Mike's voice instead of Annoying Nurse but I did open my eyes and focus on Theresa who calmly told me I needed to open my pelvis and get this baby’s shoulders out.
DIxonBirth2 367DIxonBirth2 375DIxonBirth2 376
I was finally able to do what I needed to do and out she came – quietly.
DIxonBirth2 382
Vivian Marie finally made her entrance at 8:53pm.
DIxonBirth2 389
I opened my eyes again and she was gone – and I realized just how many people were in the room (no wonder I couldn’t focus!) and probably looked like a deer in headlights because WHERE IS MY  BABY? Theresa reminded me that they were going to take her if she wasn’t crying and it felt like the longest time of my life until I heard her. I calmed down, let the tears of joy flow, delivered the placenta and waited for my baby!DIxonBirth2 391(2)
Vivian had to be intubated before she started breathing on her own, but was quickly just fine. No mec past the cords (good!) – someone yelled “you’re doing it wrong” at one point which was a little frightening, though.Her face was a little bruised but she was here and she was fine!
DIxonBirth2 395DIxonBirth2 399DIxonBirth2 407(2)DIxonBirth2 414
They told me how big she was (I could hardly believe it!) and how much hair she had (I believed it!).
DIxonBirth2 419(2)DIxonBirth2 435(92)DIxonBirth2 438DIxonBirth2 445(2)
DIxonBirth2 454DIxonBirth2 456
And finally after what seemed like a very very long time, they brought her to me.
DIxonBirth2 466(2)DIxonBirth2 469(2)DIxonBirth2 472(2)
We snuggled and bonded in the finally quiet room. Mike and I just stared at her. Soaked in all of her beauty and those squishable cheeks.
 DIxonBirth2 476(2)
DIxonBirth2 480DIxonBirth2 484(2)DixonBirth2 500DixonBirth2 501(2)
I fed her.
DixonBirth2 514
DixonBirth2 520(2)
DixonBirth2 529
I passed her off to Mike and my mom to snuggle.
DixonBirth2 540DixonBirth2 546DixonBirth2 556(2)
I talked to Theresa a little later who apologized for the craziness that went on and all the people in the room, assured me I did a great job, and that everything went just fine. She was seriously fantastic. I wish I would have tried that right side torture position sooner, but in the end, Miss Vivi arrived just the same.

At the end of the day - I remember looking at her, kissing her nose, and totally forgetting about all the hard work that just went on to get her here.
DixonBirth2 586(2)DixonBirth2 587(2)
DixonBirth2 580
DixonBirth2 575(2)

3 comments:

Deborah said...

Andrea, you wrote this with such detail I feel like I'm there! You sound so empowered, too. I've never wanted a med-free childbirth, but you're kind of making me wish I had done it (I'm done having kids, though).

So happy for you & your family!!

Joy@WDDCH said...

Wonderful! Congrats again!

The pics of you pushing and you can literally see your belly bump getting smaller = my favorite! That is an amazing sequence of pics!

When I had my first there was meconium when they broke my water but they did NOT explain to me that they'd take her once she was born. Granted they only took her across the room and she was just fine, too. I'm glad your team explained what would happen so you knew what to expect.

Delenn said...

So wonderful and beautiful. Thank you for sharing.